Sunday, March 1, 2009

First Night: the flight and my family

I'm sitting on another random bed in this great big world. I have the same feeling I had as a freshman in college lying in bed for the first night; the feeling that it is so random that I'm lying on this piece of mattress in this building in this city in this country. This situation really pushes me to be content on my own and independent.

On my flight from DC (home) to Miami, I met a woman from Chile. She didn't speak much English and was relieved to find out that I spoke Spanish. She told me about her family in Santiago and even showed me some pictures (while we waiting for half an hour for our flight to take off). Shortly after take off, she got sick and I had work with the stewardesses who didn't speak any Spanish to help out my new friend Carmen. We chatted during the flight and then parted ways in Miami, where she felt more comfortable surrounded by Spanish speaking airport assistants.

On the second flight, from Miami to Buenos Aires, I shared a plane with about 100 Argentinian girls who were turning 15 this year. After they asked me to change seats 2 so that they all had some friend to sit near, I ended up (towards the front of the plane :) ) and sitting next to a very nice and surprisingly mature girl. She explained to me their trip and how when a girl turns 15 in Argentina they either have a big party or go on one of these trips to amusement parks in the US (which they don't have in Argentina). I talked with this girl on and off during the whole flight about Argentinian slang, American and Argentine bands, tourism in BA and our families among other things. I got a little more used to the Argentinian accent and got to ask some questions about the "vos" form which I had never learned.

At the airport I met with the IES program workers briefly and then got in a cab to arrive at my host parents' house. I am living with a woman about 50, her husband a little older, and their daughter who is finishing up college. The family is really nice and accommodating. During the tour of the apartment my host mom explained that this is my house too and that we are all adults here so I can come and go as I please. She also said she will make dinner for me but I can eat it whenever I want. She seems to be very understanding and accommodating of the college student spontaneous lifestyle.

I am trying to get to know this family poco a poco. I just utilized the father's passion for futbol to strike up a conversation. I feel that I can go to any of them with questions and that they will take good care of me here. I live in a small room with a super comfortable bed and a good internet connection which is enabling me to keep in touch with my friends and family and maintain this blog. Overall, life is good here in Buenos Aires. This was a short day so that is all for now. I'm going to get some much needed sleep now.

Luego,
Kati

No comments:

Post a Comment