Friday, March 20, 2009

What makes me feel at "Home"

The exchange rate is almost at 3.75, things are getting so cheap. These days I have to buy things such as a student visa, shampoo, school supplies; start up materials if you will. But once I get done buying those expensive things, I think I will have enough money to travel. For example, on a normal day near the IES center I'll go to this panaderia to buy a "tarta" which is a quiche. Its a large slice with chicken, cheese, spinach and egg. It costs me 7.50 pesos which is equivalent to about $2.00. So I can eat lunch for a little more than $2! And its really good! I also eat a lot of empanadas, mmmmm.

By the way, something terrible happened: I found the argentinian food network. This could be the end of me. Its 24 hours, "el gourmet" (they pronounce the t for some reason). I'll have to excercise a lot of self restraint. Atleast I'm learning cooking terms though!

I was going to just mention some thoughts I've had about living abroad. I think this time, when I return to Lafayette, I will be able to see more good things about being there. I guess I'm just sorting out in my head the pro's and con's of living in different places. One thing I have noticed recently is the value of independence. That is something I never quite have when I'm abroad (well I've always been dependent financially for example but in terms of space I guess). Living in someone elses house is a great learning experience but interms of settling in somwhere, it is an impediment. It contrasts a lot with the experience I have living in a dorm with my own room. When I have a key to my door, it's easier for me to feel comfortable and at home. If I just had a bathroom and a kitchen I would be even more content with the personal space. So that's one fact that limits me from completely settling here.

Another factor is the language. I wanted to come here and be in the uncomfortable situation of always speaking my non-native tongue when I leave my room. So, I don't mean to complain here. I just am noting how much of a toll it takes on someone. It's just one other way that settling down is difficult here. Everytime I chat with the doorman, or someone on the street, or in a store, there might arise some sort of confusion or dificulty. That is a completely different experience from the US where all those interactions are relatively smooth.

The other factor is an established network. That is something I am building right now. In the US I can call certain people from anywhere in the country if I'm in a jam. Whether I'm at home or at school there are always people around that can answer questions if I have them, lend me money, give me a ride etc. That is because I have spent so much time building a network of support. Both with people and through my cell phone, computer, organizations... Here, I am establishing those things from the beginning. I have a cell phone, a computer, a "family," and a few good friends. But I can still feel that my network is pretty week and that makes this experience different. That makes it harder to settle down here. I know that this network is going to grow and grow while I'm here and probably be fairly good by the time I have to leave. I guess that's how studying abroad is, after about a semester, you are feelin pretty good, and then you go.

So en conjunto, I feel like I could live here or anywhere else comfortable if the climate is decent, the language is English or I'm willing to tackle the Spanish, and I give myself time to establish a support network. I'm not going to achieve that this time around, but its good to think about what would make me comfortable living in a certain place.

Here are some pictures, just to keep things interesting. These I took at the botanical gardens today and at a Polo game. Just another day in Buenos Aires... gotta love being abroad.

2 comments:

  1. Koo,
    Hope all is well in G'Tina. Guess what...Zo got her drivers license today...she is all psyched to drive to school tomorrow on her own. We are all waiting to see what happens to our little angel in South America...any more hot salsa dancing with native boys? Love Papa (Zo and Ness)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Koo,
    Sounds like you got plowed under with work at school. Can you breathe with all the Spano Talk they throw at you. Love Papa

    ReplyDelete