That exchange rate is still climbing! Up to 3.72!
I ate another delicious lunch today for 2 dollars, empanadas de pollo y carne. Then for dinner I had a delicious plate of pasta with sundried tomato sauce, ay que rico. I also bought four mini pastries today to share with my host family. I thought it would be a good way to bring everyone together for a little and it worked. The father was at the gym but my sister, mom, a friend of the family and I all shared the pastries and chatted for about 2 hours. I also got to see the mom and friend drink Mate. There is a sort of ceremonial way to drink it, where you have a thermos of hot water and one person drinks it and fills it up for the other. You keep taking turns drinking the mate and refilling it with the hot thermos water. It was interesting to see.
Last night I got to watch Boca (famous Argentine soccer team) win their match with my host father. He was watching the game on tv, so I sat down and joined him. We had a great time watching and chatting and I learned some futbol lingo. He said I had clearly studied in Spain becuase I said "portero" instead of "arquero" for goal keeper. But he straightened me out.
I asked my host mom how she made this delicious sauce last night and it sounded like a good recipe. She used the cheapest cut of meat, which is also the leanist, and first browns the steak. Then she makes a sauce out of purees onions, soy sauce, mustard, vinagre and water. She puts this mixutre into the pan and cooks the meat for 45 minutes. It becomes really tender and delicious after this time. Hmmmmm.
I walked back from class today, about an hour and a half, to my apartment. I checked out this old huge theatre that was transformed int oa bookstore. It was pretty cool. I got to read all the signs on the street and take part in to hubub of the streets. I looked in the store windows at all the delicate pastries and cakes. I kept an eye out for some good cake decorating ideas. There are a few I want to try out next chance I get.
Overall it was a great day. Lots of Spanish, meeting new people, seeing new places and hangin with the fam falso. But now it is time for bed.
Luego,
Kati
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment