Thursday, March 19, 2009

Demonstration about Insecurity in BA

The exchange rate is as high as its ever been over the last few weeks, 3.745, woop woop.

Here are some pictures from the demonstration Jesus (my friend, not the dude himself) and I went to. We heard there was a demonstration about insecurity in the city so we went to check it out. The plaza was completely filled. There were even poeple standing on top of the buses nearby just so that they could see. There was a lot of excitement in the air. People were selling flags and food everywhere. We waited for about 15 minutes until they started the speech.
Right in the middle of Plaza de Mayo, in front of the Casa Rosada, we heard 3 different people speak about the problem. The speeches basically talked about not using violence or hate to counter the murders that have occured to young people who were robbed. (not my neighborhood, the bad neighborhoods). The called for everyone regardless of religion or political views to come together behind this cause. They said the solution needed to come from government, a change in system. They also called for the young people to get involved and vote in the upcming election in order to create change in the policing system. When the speaker spoke out against Kischner, the presidente, everyone roared with applause. I guess she is pretty unanimously disliked... It was exciting to see this huge plaza of people cheering and clapping together in agreement of the need for change. It was very moving to see such passion among the people there. Jesus and I listened and cheered just like the natives around us. The only part we didn't participate in was singing the national anthem in the beginning, cause we didn't know the words. What an event.
Luego,
-Kati

2 comments:

  1. These demonstrations look pretty intense. More intense than Berkeley even. Except no one is living in trees. It seems like life here is pretty good for you so far. How are your classes this week? You just started right? I talked to mom and she said there was some drama going on. I'm sure I'll get to hear all about it. It's interesting about your comment earlier regarding waste. In Peru, the family also didn't have a lot of trash. The trash everyday was put in a plastic bag the size of a lunch brown bag, and it was mainly inedible food scraps. The feast the other day looks great. Keep up the blogging!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Koo,
    I feel so sorry for you navigating the curriculum.....in class with Natives...that hardly seems fair to the Yanks. I wonder how the German student is doing and what he picked for a class. Keep us posted on what class you finally end up in! Love Papa

    ReplyDelete