Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Talking with my Host Mom and the Park

Today I woke up as usual, got ready for orientation class, and went to eat my breakfast. These days I usually eat breakfast with my senora. We always end up having very deep conversation over breakfast. Today we talked about independence and relationships. Her father made this sculpture out of wood of two branches coming together in a swirl. It's called "Pareja" because couples have to be two independent individuals coming together in their commonalities. I agreed with her on this subject. Sometimes people get into relationships and define themselves by there partner, and that never seems to work out. Plus it can put someone in a situation where they have to act against the way they are (personality, values) and that is never pleasant. The interesting thing about having these conversations at breakfast is that I usually need to go fairly quickly to class but it is hard for my to smoothly end the conversation when they are so meaningful and deep. Anyways, don't worry mom, I always arrive on time in the end!

Today in class we had a practice exam for the one we will take tomorrow. We are getting placed into our spanish levels. The exam is very interesting becuase it doesn't just test how many words one knows or how many different grammatical forms one can make. It tests how much practical spanish one knows. For example, how to say "Hello, may I ask whose calling?" on the phone, or how to ask for directions. There are a lot of phrases that I wouldn't have known if I hadn't gone to Spain. I learned a lot of those practical phrases from living with my host mom, shopping in stores, going to classes at UAM, meeting spanish speakers etc. Things that you don't learn in an American classroom.

Afterwards I went with three friends to la Reserva ecologica. Apparently, the portenos tried to move the coast line and the land that was added to the edge of the cost just sprouted out with vegetation. Now the area is protected by the government and maintained. It is a beautiful park with paths, trees, coast line and sun. I went for a run around the park. Afterwards I sat with my friend in the shade of a tree just relaxing. I was thinking that I'll come to this park whenever I have class near by at IES. I can always come for a jog and then to read or something. It's really nice to sit in the grass and see the buildings of the city over the edge of the trees and feel the wind from the river blowing over you. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures, but I will post some in due time.

Here is a picture of the type of trees they have in many parks. The roots are tall thin fingers that curl around everywhere.

Also, here is a random picture of a crazy dressed woman I saw walking around in the cemetery. Yes, in the cemetery.
The exchange rate, mas of menos igual as before.

Luego,
Kati

3 comments:

  1. To my special little baby doll. What is all over that poor little horse (or donkey or whatever). Papa and Candice

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice to read about your observations on the nonreciprocal attentiveness of one country for another. As you say, everyone is all ears about what's going on with the Super Power but the Super Power is not all ears about the smaller country....their history, their culture, their attitude about the world. I agree that Obama's broad perspective in all things is likely to bring alot of other countries into a more connected position with the US. It's great that you have an opportunity to be on the other side of the curtain and see first hand how eyes in other countries see us and of course how we can better see them. Love Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check it out Koo,
    Zoey and Karen are heading off to The Netherlands for a international field hockey tournament for a week. Another of Papa's sugar babies visiting the far reaches of the planet. Love to the Koo, Papa

    ReplyDelete